I was lucky enough to receive a box of goodies from Jo-Ann Fabrics & Craft Store, which included everything I would need to make these lovely velvet pumpkins.
Here is all the fun stuff I was working with.
Jo-Ann Fabrics generously donated a $50 Gift Card for one of my lucky readers. If you are ever looking for project ideas or inspiration Jo-Ann Fabrics does have a project page. Jo-Ann Fabrics also included directions to make these velvet pumpkins, which I loosely followed. Here is how I did it.
1. Cut dowel rods into pieces. The big pumpkin was 12 inches and the small pumpkin was 8 inches. Honestly, the husband did this job.
2. Start at the bottom and duct tape the three rods together. Tape about half way up. Cut the unwrapped end at an angle.
3. Brush glitter glue on painted dowel (I set mine in a cup, duct tape side down, to dry), leaves and Natural wire (cut 14-18 inches long).
4. Cut fabric to appropriate size circle. Big pumpkin is 32 inches, small pumpkin is 23 inches. Obviously you can play with sizes to suit your needs.
5. Run a gathering stitch 3/4″ from the edge. This is just a very loose stitch. You pull the thread and the fabric gathers. I YouTubed it to learn how. Pretty simple.
6. Gather loosely.
7. Fill the bottom of the pumpkin with Poly Pellets. This weighs the pumpkin down, giving it a stable bottom.
8. Set the dowel rods in the center and fill with fiberfill. Pull the gathers tightly around the dowel rods and secure with several stitches.
9. Affix coil and leaf by the stem using hot glue.
I really loved how these turned out. I want to make a ton of mini ones. I am going to use them as table centerpieces. I think they scream fall/Thanksgiving glam. I’m hoping to show you how I rock them as part of my table set-up tomorrow, but first I have to clean the crafting mess of the dining room table. Keeping it real here folks.
**Thanksgiving table post with these bad boys as my centerpiece & my fun twist on these pumpkins is now up on the blog. Stop by to see the velvet pumpkin place card holders & Thanksgiving table**
I’m sure you aren’t all here to crush on pumpkins though. I bet you are itching to throw your hat in the ring for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card to Jo-Ann Fabrics & Craft Store. Let’s make this simple.
TO ENTER: **THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED**
Leave a comment telling me what project you would tackle with a $50 gift card to Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores. I’m thinking foam, batting and fabric for the headboard I have been dreaming of. One comment and BAM entered. (Please be sure to leave you name and email in the name & email slot so you can be contacted if you are the winner.) If you feel the need to rave about my pumpkins in the comments, go right ahead ;). Giveaway closes Saturday, October 28 at noon (central time zone)
This giveaway is void where prohibited and only open to the United States. You must be 18 to enter. The winner will be chosen using a random number generator. The winner will have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
This is a sponsored post. Supplies and compensations were provided for the purpose of this post. All opinions are 100% mine.
***THE WINNER IS SHARLENE P. **
She has big plans for some much needed window treatments. Congrats!
The winner has been notified via email & has 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.